Monday, October 3, 2011

Murphy


Here's my Murphy. She a Jack Russell that just walked into our lives a few years ago. She's a great dog and was alot of fun to paint. I really enjoyed the different textures of her fur. As I was painting her I thought how it was painting a dog as opposed to painting a person. You have so much more freedom in painting a dog. Especially in the beginning layers when you are just laying in colors wet in wet. When painting a person I feel like I need more control than that. Now I'm thinking that maybe I don't. It's still the same
process of laying in the colors loosely, then a little more defined and then adding the details. Why is fur so much different than skin? Is it because it is so much more textured? Is it because I don't worry about it so much? I guess I need to try and change my need to control a portrait so much and see where that brings me.

My daughter Kim and her boyfriend Bryant were here visiting from California. It was wonderful seeing her and getting to know Bryant a little better. I miss her now that she is gone and am looking forward to the next time I get to see her.

Now I'm in the beginning of my fall teaching season. I'm going to be teaching six classes a week on six days of the week. Why did I think that was such a good idea? It is because I really enjoy teaching. I really find it a challenge to come up with better ways to present material in ways that my students will understand it. And it is a joy when they grow in their painting process. I really find that I learn right along with them and enjoy sharing their accomplishments.

6 comments:

Maria's Watercolor said...

Excellent job on this, Murphy appears to have a lot of personality from your painting, something in those eyes. I also find dogs much easier to paint than people!

Diana said...

I love Murphy, He is adorable, you did a wonderful job. WOW you have a lot of energy to teach 6 classes a week.That is great.. take care and keep up the wonderful teaching and work. love,Diana

Kathy Staicer said...

Thank you so much Maria. I love your paintings of animals, especially horses. They are not only beautiful but they have very distinctive personalities.

Kathy Staicer said...

Thanks Diana. I really enjoyed painting Murphy. Your owl is adorable and I love the acorns. And it sound like you are just as busy as me!

Meera Rao said...

Murphy looks like a lovable fellow and you did a great job! And good luck with the classes --I read that the more you teach better you get at painting! seems like your efforts are showing :)

Kathy Staicer said...

Thanks Meera. I sure hope that's true as I am teaching so much right now.