Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wine Bottle

This wine bottle is one of my favorite charcoal drawings. What I really like about it is the light shining through the picture. I think I really captured light and shadows, a real value study.

I cropped the photo a little too much on the bottom right corner and you cannot see the edge of the marble surface that the still life is sitting on.

Charcoal is a great medium to work values in. It is alot of fun to make the darkest darks. It is easier than graphite to capture the darks. And of course the lights look brighter when next to the darks. Then there is the gentle blending of values from dark to light.

For the past year I have been working mostly on watercolors. I have enjoyed them and learned in them a great deal. I do miss working in other mediums and hope to spend more time working in them. I just wish there were more hours in the day!

No comments: