Sunday, August 23, 2009

Red Geraniums

I have been working on Under the Palm for about two weeks now. I am so stressed out and it is not going the way I expected it to. I had a vision of what I had hoped the painting would look like and it doesn't look that way at all.

So I decided to pull a painting that was just alot of fun. And here it is my Red Geraniums. This summer I taught Watercolors on the Go. Each week we went to a different location and painted for the fun of it. There was no pressure to make a beautiful painting. I find that ironically when you are painting for the fun of it and do not worry about how the painting looks the experience is very rewarding. Often the painting comes out looking good and if not it does not matter. I think we can all learn from this.

Anyway one week we went to the Atlantic Garden Center and I started painting these Red Geraniums. I took some photos and when I got home I completed them. When I look at them I see a very relaxed painting, not alot of tricks and techniques, not alot of hard work and yet I feel that I captured the spirit of the Red Geraniums. That is an experience that I really feel is from the purity of painting without the little critic sitting in my brain. It was simply fun!

No comments: